Graduation

Graduation

Friday, January 14, 2011

Story of Us: Part 2

I can barely remember back so far, but Deron emailed me.  I remember thinking to myself, "We're just going to be friends."  {yeah, right} I had plans.  Grand plans that I knew were going to happen because I knew practically everything.  I had just graduated high school. So I was somewhat wasp-ish...you know, biggest when first hatched.  I'm so embarrassed at the know-it-all I was back then.

We emailed back and forth, and he tried desperately to get me to give him my phone number.  But there was no way I was giving my number out to some guy I didn't really know.  Thus, Deron was intrigued, and I was unwittingly playing hard to get.  I didn't know that's what I was doing.  I was just going to be friends with him.  Seriously.

But truth be told, I was intrigued, as well.  Why else would I continue emailing and checking my email a hundred times a day if I wasn't?  I didn't actually want to be intrigued.  I wanted to be indifferent to my new found friend.  But finally the day came when he asked if he could come meet me at my church.  "Whoa!"  Butterflies.  "What should I say?"  Of course he could drive the 200+ miles to meet me.  I suppose...

At church the two weeks before he was supposed to travel to meet me, I was chatting with the ladies about how Deron would be coming to meet me soon.

Then came several "ooooohhhhhs" and "aaaahhhhs."

"We are just friends," I said to them, completely convinced that this would be the case.  {because people who are "just" friends travel four plus hours to chat face to face for a little while. mmmhmmm)

"Sure you are.  You'll probably marry him..." came the prophetic response.

A few days before Deron was supposed to come, he had decided to back out since I, obiviously, was not interested.  He got on his computer, typed an email about how he wasn't going to be able to make it.  Then, he pressed send.

What? No internet connection. Riiiinnnggg. Back in the days of dial-up, a phone call had interrupted his connection.

It was his sister-in-law calling to tell him that she'd spoken with a lady from my church about how excited I was to meet him...{hahahaha} So he changed his mind and decided to make the trip after all...

No comments: