Graduation

Graduation

Thursday, April 17, 2014

My firstborn, My oldest




Dear Ethan,

Today, you turn 11 years old.  It's bittersweet to see you growing up before my very eyes.  It's happening little by little, day by day.  You get a little bigger, a little wiser, a little older.  You're changing into a young man.  When did this happen?

We're standing almost eye to eye.  You're feet surpassed mine in size months ago. I have to think back to a year or two ago to realize how fast it's happening.  I can remember when you were itty bitty.  And now... You are anything but itty bitty.  You're going to be tall and broadly built. This morning, I walked into the living room to see you sprawled out on the floor.  You'd apparently woken up and come downstairs in the night.  You took up half the floor, and you had to curl up for the blanket to cover your feet.  Changes, changes.

Recently, another change has started.  Before the last couple of months, I could count on you to be up and going by 6:30, and now, you're sleeping later and later.  I have a feeling you're going to enjoy summer break a lot more this year than in years past.

School is going very well this year.  I could call you Mr. Comprehension.  You retain information amazingly well!  You've taken off in so many areas.  You've always been great at math, but your writing has progressed immeasurably this year.  Two years ago, every assignment was sooooo hard, and now, it's no big deal.  You write something up. We edit, add details and information, and you rewrite or type it out.  I am immensely proud of how hard you've been working and more importantly, your attitude while working!


I often wonder what you'll be interested in as you grow up.  What will strike in terms of a career?  How can you be graduating high school in seven years?   I want you to know this:  I am on your side. When the days are good and when they're not.  I will be there.  I will purpose to be there for you.  With you. Will I like everything you do? No. But I love you and I will always love you.

No matter what.

Keep being yourself.  Put others ahead of yourself.  Look to God every day.  Pray always.

Love you very much,
Mom

No comments: