Graduation

Graduation

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Sausage and Rice

With the weather cool, I thought I'd share one of our family's favorite warm, comforting, hearty, one dish wonders!

Sausage and Rice
(I always double this recipe. It reheats very well.)

1 pack of smoked sausage, sliced/diced
1 14.5 oz. can of tomatoes, drained, reserve tomato juice
1 bell pepper, diced
1 onion, diced
sprinkle of garlic powder
1 12 oz. can of beef broth
1 c. brown rice
1 T. oil
salt, pepper, and chili powder to taste

In a large pot, heat your oil on med-high heat. Saute your onion, pepper, and garlic powder. Add your sausage and brown. While the sausage is browning, gather your liquid. I pour my juice from the tomatoes into a liquid measuring cup, add my beef broth and then enough water to equal 2 1/4 cups of liquid for a single recipe, doubling if needed. Once the sausage is browned to taste, add tomatoes, liquid, salt, pepper, and chili powder. Bring to a boil. Lastly, add your brown rice, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour.


Enjoy!


**Note: If you use white rice, you'll need to add less liquid. Not sure how much less.

No comments: