Graduation

Graduation

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Back to School...sort of...

"Why do we have to ruin a perfectly awesome summer with school?"  says Ethan, my reluctant learner. 

I was talking to someone recently about the fact that for a homeschool family, starting school is often a matter of switching gears.  There's not a lot of fanfare, despite my best efforts.  They're still at home.  They're still doing chores.  They're still reading every day.  I try to make it a big deal, and it is to me.  I'm wiped out by the end of the school day.  But it's sort of just 'life' for us.  A part of our life.  I have to count hours and days and make sure I cover all subjects according to what is required by our state.  I want to be sure I've covered any bases that need covering.  Then, we have to hit a groove.  We're getting close to a groove and what is working for us this school year.  A routine, if you will.

I've also had person after person after person ask me about homeschooling and why we homeschool and how we homeschool.  I still feel like such a novice, and I do not feel qualified to tell anyone anything.  I truly believe it is an incredibly personal decision, and each family must do what the Lord has burdened them to do.  For us, we have no question and continuous affirmations that we are doing what is right for our family. dot. period.  We enjoy it, too...most of the time.  I am thankful that God has blessed me to be able to be home full time with my family day in and day out, and I'm thankful for my husband who is incredibly supportive and understanding.  This is what I love doing. 

I actually had someone tell me in a very concerned tone that she just hated to see me wasting my brain.  Let's be real.  There are days when diaper duty and endless nursing can make you feel that way, but I can tell you that I do not regret one single minute of it.  I'm past that sweet and precious baby stage, and it feels like it was a vapor.  Oh, how I wish I had relaxed and enjoyed it all more!  How I wish I had savored the days, the minutes, the laughter and sounds of their baby and toddling days! 

Now we're doing science experiments and learning how to read, and I have a sneaky suspicion that in a few years, these days will feel like a vapor.  I'm thankful to have chosen this path, and I hope that I've learned enough thus far to purpose to enjoy our life more...to relax more...to live more...

I am truly blessed.

No comments: