Graduation

Graduation

Monday, January 24, 2011

Story of Us: Part 3

It was August 26, 2001. 

The day came sooner than I thought it would.  Oh, how nervous I was.  I wanted to be late.  I did NOT want to have to talk to "this guy" before I absolutely had to.  How was I going to handle this?  I took my sweet time getting ready for church.  Late. Late Late.  I needed to be late.  Really.

We drove slowly. I wasn't normal.  This couldn't be normal.  I was way to nervous about meeting this new email friend of mine.  Way to nervous.  It wasn't like we "met" on the internet.  We were set up for communication over the internet, but this was too weird for me.  Meeting some 24 year old guy.  He was too old for me.  I was sure he was a nice guy and all that, but 24-year-old's aren't looking to be friends with some girl who lives 200+ miles away from where he lived. Were they?

We drove into the parking lot.  There was his truck.  The only red F150 in the lot.  Oh my oh my!  He's here, I thought.  I was cool as a cucumber. Yeah right. Then, I walked into the church.  I had known he led singing, but I wasn't expecting him to be leading singing in my church.  But there he was.  Standing in the front of the church, song book in hand, singing.  Wow.  He sure can sing.

I'd forgotten that I was still wearing my sunglasses.  Gasp. There he was.  I couldn't breathe.  I couldn't move.  Oh my. I think my heart stopped for a second. I slipped my glasses up on top of my head.  He looked up at me, and our eyes met for the first time.  I'll never forget the look on his face in that moment.

He knew I'd walked in.  There was a little smile, and I sat down.  My life changed in that moment. I thought I knew how my life was going to play out.  I had plans.  I thought I knew what I wanted, but God began to change my heart that day.

No comments: